Sunday, February 15, 2009

New Food Blog!

Welcome to my new food and cocktail blog! I've been thinking about doing something like this for a long time. I want a place to share my musings and experiences with vegetarian cuisine and cocktails, as well as recipes and the like. I'll try to update this fairly regularly, but my track record with such things isn't that great, so we'll see...

I am NOT one of those vegetarians who apparently hate meat as a culinary concept. I have my eating habits for ethical reasons, but I love the taste and texture of meat. Therefore, I am not at all shy about using faux meat products. Yves, Quorn, and Morningstar Farms are some of my favorites, but a great alternative to these is seitan - textured wheat gluten. I use these meat alternatives to make dishes that may seem impossible for a vegetarian - with delicious results.

As for cocktails, I am fed up with the mainstream fake cocktail culture that has been prevelent for years. I enjoy old-style cocktails, made with strong spirits, cocktail bitters, and natural ingredients. Pre-made mixers are strictly off-limits, as are boring drinks that consist mostly of fruit juice or soda with a shot of booze. I like to get creative with my alcoholic culinary adventures.

I hope you all enjoy my blog! Cheers!

-John

1 comment:

  1. Hey, another vegetailian blogger! Welcome. I recently wrote a post about being a vegetarian in the cocktail scene:
    http://www.alcademics.com/2009/02/vegetailians-rejoice.html

    Anyway, hi.

    ReplyDelete